When stepping into the online marketing world, each business must look at the outcome of their efforts.
“Start with the end in mind” as Steven Covey would say.
Facebook is the social media platform that most of us have some familiarity with. As of the third quarter of 2016, Facebook had 1.79 billion users, with the average user logging into their account at least 14 times a day.
In relation to marketing for your business, where else can you get your potential client to login in or maybe walk into your business on average 14 times a day?
Facebook is a powerful platform that should be considered when creating a plan for your online marketing.
As busy business owners, we may struggle with creating a strategy that we will be able to stick to. But, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail in the business world.
The first step in your strategy is to ask yourself this question.
- What is the end result you are looking for?
What goal do you want to achieve? Be clear on your goal, having clarity around the ‘what’ will allow you to monitor your success on Facebook. Some common goals are:
- Brand awareness
- Drive referral traffic back to your blog or website
- Strengthen your brand awareness
- Build email list
- Building relationship
- Provide customer service
- Generate leads and sales
- Facebook ad campaigns
The second step in your strategy is to identify your target market.
- Who is your target market? This has to be one of the most confronting questions for most business owners. The last thing any business owner wants to do is exclude a potential client.
To be successful with Facebook marketing and use your targeted audience in the ads manager, you must know what your target market looks like. If you are unsure ask your already existing database. Send out a survey to find out what they like and what they’re interested in.
These answers will help you build your target market. If you know your target market you can use Facebook ads manager, to see if your target market is on Facebook.
- 18 to 35-year-old Female who works 9 to 5, enjoys the outdoors and fitness, nutrition, and meditation.
- 24 to 40-year-old Male, single, a business owner who enjoys extreme sports and loves alfresco dining.
From the examples, you may consider there is a little too much information. However, the more you know about your target market, the easier it is to place your boosted post or ad campaign directly in front of them, giving you a return on your investment in marketing.
The third step is your content. How will you create content that is engaging?
- How? We know content is king, your content needs to be engaging, entertaining and educational. For me, it’s easiest to create educational content. The easiest way to organize your content is to create a theme for each month. The theme can be based on traditional events, industry events or just something that works with your business.
- December – Christmas
- January – New year, new goals
- February – Valentines day, share the love
Once you have your themes for the year, break the theme into content for the week.
- Monday – Joke of the week
- Tuesday – Tips of the trade
- Wednesday – Hump day or last minute ideas
- Thursday – Employee of the week
- Friday – Video
From here you can see how easy it is to create your content. Use a content list (simple excel spreadsheet). You can now source your content ideas, based around your theme.
I do suggest, you have video and you have live video in your content creation, Facebook is promoting live video higher in the organic newsfeed. Now Facebook live video will reach more people than a generic picture post. Video also encourages engagement. Source topics that your target market wants to know about.
The final step in your success with Facebook is to monitor.
- When are your posts getting the most interaction?
Facebook insights and ad manager insights are crucial for you to monitor. As a guide there are a number of suggested times to post on Facebook, however that being said, it is not the same for each target market. Once a week look at your insights to gather the information about your posts. When creating ads monitor the audience insights. Audience insights lets you learn about your target audience. You may find that your product is attracting a completely different target market. By monitoring, you are guaranteed to see success on Facebook.
My big tip for you to create a Facebook strategy would be to use Live video, with the recent changes to the algorithm getting your organic posts seen is now at 1.2 to 1.6% of your total page likes, the organic reach on Facebook Live is around 30%. Consider telling your story about your business and use Facebook live to get the maximum return on your investment.