There is no doubt that businesses, especially ones that sell their products or services online, should be exploring Pinterest as a major weapon in their marketing arsenal. As with any online marketing tool, you should be using Pinterest strategically, with an eye on achieving your business goals. An effective Pinterest account for business starts with great Pinterest Boards.
Pinterest boards give potential followers a glimpse into your business. They are the first items that potential followers see when visiting your Pinterest account and making the decision to follow you.
How to Create a Pinterest Board:
1) Log in to your Pinterest account and find the + button in the top right, next to your photo.
2) Click on Create a Board.
3) Name your Board. This part is key because people will often make the decision to follow or not follow a particular Pinterest Board based on its name. Make it descriptive but not too long.
4) Add a Description. Make sure you use keywords for your business and for the Board in order to be found more easily in Pinterest search. Be succinct but let potential followers know what to expect and what you plan to pin here.
5) Choose a Category. This is very important to be found when people are searching for your product or service. Pick the category that fits your Board closely.
6) Make it Secret. I always make my Boards secret (meaning no one can see them) until I amass at least 4-5 pins on the Board. You can easily edit the Board at any time and unclick the Secret button.
What Pinterest Boards Should I Create for My Business?
The technical act of creating Boards is easy. Figuring out what types of Boards to create and how they fit into your overall marketing strategy is much more difficult.
Here are 5 ideas for Pinterest boards that can benefit your business.
1) Your products
Sort your products depending on the categories you chose on your website. For example, Pinterest powerhouse Real Simple magazine has several categories listed at the top of its website and has created Pinterest Boards accordingly – Food & Recipes, Home & Organizing, Beauty & Fashion, Holidays & Entertaining, etc.
2) Featuring [your city]
Think about your location. If you are a small business with one or two locations, create a Board all about your city or town. Pin news articles, feature other businesses in the area or partner with local charities and pin their content.
3) Popular blog posts
If you have a blog (and you should), create a Board or Boards based on the most used tags from your blog. Pin your blog posts but also pin other relevant resources that your followers will find helpful in that category.
4) Express yourself
Show your personality! You don’t have to only have Boards about your products and services – showcase a hobby, an interest or a passion. Social media is about people connecting with people. Your business will benefit if your customers can see the human behind the Pinterest account.
5) Reading List
Create a Board with articles and books that you have read or want to read that relate to your business and industry. Pinterest is the perfect place to establish authority on a topic and become a go-to resource.
NOTE: You are not limited to just 5 Pin Boards (I have 88 Boards myself). There is no hard and fast rule for the best number of Boards to create for business – I suggest creating at least 10, to provide your customers with a variety of content and to demonstrate that you are committed to participating on Pinterest.
Keep in mind that people may not follow all of your Boards – that’s fine. As long as you are continually posting fresh content, linking back to your website, sharing others’ pins and contributing value to your online community, you will succeed.
Looking for more Pinterest advice? Check out this video below:
Photo by Morning Brew on Unsplash
Pinterest Boards FAQs
Follow these steps on how to make a board on Pinterest:
1. Open the Pinterest site or app on your device and log into your account.
2. Click on a Pin so it will open and then hit the Save button.
3. Tap Create board button located at the bottom of your screen.
4. Put in the name of your board. You can add collaborators to it, and you also have an option to keep the board secret.
You can easily find your boards on Pinterest by clicking your profile picture located at the top right of your screen once you log in. Then click the Saved button, and from there it will show you all your boards. You can organize them and even sort your boards according to your preferences.
These are the most popular Pinterest boards: (not in order)
1. “Recipes” by Joy Cho (Oh Joy!)
2. “ Things to Make” by Bekka Palmer.
3. “ Entertaining + Fun” by Poppytalk.
4. “ Inspirational Quotes” by We Heart It.
5. “ Architecture Details” by Neille Hepworth.
6. “ Delicious” by Jane Wang.
7. “ Everything” by Maryann Rizzo.
8. “ Living Spaces” by Bonnie Tsang.
Here are the steps on how to make Pinterest boards on your laptop:
1. Go to your Pinterest profile and choose Boards.
2. Hit Create Board.
3. Choose a name for your boards as well as the visibility of it. You can also add collaborators if you’d like,
4. Add the dates to determine the start and end date of your board.
5. Then hit Create.
These are the steps on how to create sections on Pinterest:
1. Log your Pinterest account in and click on your profile picture.
2. Click Boards to open them.
3. You will see the plus icon at the bottom of your screen, click on it.
4. Choose Section, and enter the name you want for your section.
5. Click the Add button to save it.