The holiday countdown has begun! If you’re in need of some last-minute holiday-contest inspiration for Facebook, look no further. And if you need some motivation for pulling such a contest together, here you go: 63.4 percent of Facebook users say they are likely to share a link to a holiday contest or giveaway.*
Remember to offer a prize that’s relevant to your brand. If you give away something expensive that isn’t aligned with your business you run the risk of getting a bunch of people who follow and engage with you only because they want to win that iPad or cash.
Here are 15 festive social media contest ideas that you can get up and running on your brand’s Facebook page in minutes — whether you build campaigns/apps or run simple Timeline promotions.
Facebook Photo Contests
It’s not hard to get your fans to upload photos: A typical Facebook user posts an average of 217 photos each, every year*. Decide ahead of time if you want the winner to be chosen at random, or by votes from your community.
1. Cutest Couple Photo Contest
Theme ideas: ugliest holiday sweater, best Santa Claus/Mrs. Claus or elf.
2. Christmas Tree or Fireplace Mantle Decorating Photo Contest
Theme ideas: hand-crafted ornaments, nature, patriotic, animal, retro, etc.
3. Family Photo Contest
Theme ideas: most creative and/or awkward family holiday photos.
Facebook “Essay” Contests
Brands that host contests see a 66 percent increase in contest submissions during the holidays.** An essay is really just a contest that involves text rather than video or photo. Tip: Let your Facebook community vote for their favorite entry.
1. Recipe Contest
Ask entrants upload their favorite holiday recipe (you can also choose to require a photo for entry).
2. Storytelling Contest
Have your Facebook fans share a short description of their favorite holiday traditions.
3. Dear Santa Letter Contest
Ask entrants to write letters to Santa about why they should win your prize.
Status Updates that can Work as Timeline Promotions
Fill-in-the-blank status updates receive 182 percent more engagement than other kinds of status updates*. Facebook Timeline contests are so easy because they’re really just status updates. Here are some ideas that will take you through the New Year’s holiday.
Ask your fans to “Finish this.”
1. “All I want for Christmas is ______________________.“ Post the title of a gift you’re dreaming of and you’re entered to win [prize]. Winner chosen at random.
2. “The movie/song that best captures the holidays for me is ______________________.” Post the title of your favorite holiday movie or song title here and you’re entered to win [prize]. Winner chosen at random.
3. “I found out the truth about Santa Claus _________________________.” Tell us your story here and you’re entered to win [prize]. Winner chosen at random.
4. “The most memorable holiday meal I’ve ever had was when _________________________________.” Tell us your story here and you’re entered to win [prize]. Winner chosen at random.
5. “The one New Year’s resolution that I actually kept was ___________________________.” Let us know the resolution and you’re entered to win [prize]. Winner chosen at random.
6. “My 2015 New Year’s resolution is _________________________” Let us know the resolution and you’re entered to win [prize]. Winner chosen at random.
Multi-day giveaways, in which you give out prizes every day for a certain period of the month (say, “12 Days of Christmas” or “8 Days of Hanukkah”) often get the best engagement on Facebook because fans come back again and again to enter.
1. A Product-a-Day Giveaway
Line up prizes for each day of your giveaway.
2. A Promotion-a-Day Giveaway
Reveal a unique promotion code for a discount or free shipping that expires at the end of each giveaway day.
3. A Combination Giveaway
Share products and digital prizes (e.g., coupons, discounts, promo codes) throughout the duration of your multi-day giveaway.
There you have it! 15 ideas for Facebook contests that you can get up on your page today. If you host a Timeline contest, make sure you use some type of comment/like importer tool so you can save all the data — especially email addresses — you collect. That way you’ll have a head start as you start your 2015 marketing plans.
- Simply Measured: http://simplymeasured.com/blog/2012/04/18/fill-in-the-blank-on-facebook/#utm_source=FITBlank&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=FITBPost&utm_content=Email&utm_campaign=FITBlank
- Social Barrel: http://socialbarrel.com/facebook-photo-library-now-250-billion-user-photos/53315/
- Shopify: http://www.shopify.com/blog/9344633-10-powerful-facebook-stats-to-help-you-get-more-engagement-and-customers#axzz2lldASSWA
**Aggregated data from ShortStack of more than 50,000 active Facebook Pages and 300,000 custom Facebook Page apps that serve more than 1.4 billion Facebook fans.