Whether you create TikTok videos for fun, as an influencer, or on behalf of a brand, chances are that you worry about your hard work getting stolen by bad actors. Add to that the increased emphasis on authenticity within the social media community, and you probably have great concerns about people not pretending to be you.
But besides sending everything to the copyright authorities and enforcing those rights, how can you protect your work? Perhaps even more crucially, how can you protect your audience from people who impersonate you?
The best way to protect yourself and others is to learn how to get verified on TikTok.
- What is TikTok verification?
- Benefits of getting verified on TikTok
- How to get verified on TikTok?
- What are the criteria for getting verified on TikTok?
- 8 Tips for a successful TikTok verification application
- How To Get Verified On TikTok FAQs
What is TikTok verification?
TikTok verification is the process of determining the authenticity of a user’s account. It is a way for users to prove that they are whom they say they are, and it also helps protect their content from being stolen or misused.
In other words, TikTok verification tells people that your channel is YOUR channel and nobody else’s. When you get verified, you’ll get a verification mark on your channel. Then, it’s easy to tell people to look for this mark before letting someone influence them in your name.
Benefits of getting verified on TikTok
Learning how to get verified on TikTok and then successfully completing the process is advantageous to both you and your audience. The benefits of having a verified account on TikTok include an increase in your channels:
- Visibility – Videos from verified accounts frequently get better treatment from the algorithm. In addition, people are more comfortable sharing videos from verified accounts because they know they aren’t sharing something that’s not genuine.
- Credibility – If you’re verified, then people understand that you are putting your reputation on the line. For example, they are assured that your new dance challenge is something you thought of yourself.
- Trustworthiness – When you’re verified, it means that TikTok is convinced you are who you say you are. Therefore, people can weigh your trustworthiness without worrying you’re a fake.
- Protection from impersonators – People love to put up fake “mirror” channels to siphon off views and for other reasons. If viewers can check to see if something’s yours, this reduces the incentive to cheat.
It also ensures that imposters and trolls are not able to impersonate you or your brand. For example, scammers will often impersonate social media personalities to try and make money. Furthermore, trolls find it harder to make fun of you if everything is traceable to your channel.
How to get verified on TikTok?
Now that you understand why getting verified is advantageous for you and your viewers, let’s talk about how to get verified on TikTok. The process for getting yourself verified is quite simple but may not be available for everyone. Here are the steps:
- In the bottom-right corner of the app, click your profile, then select the menu option on the top right.
- Got to ‘Settings and privacy.’
- Click on manage account and then click on ‘verification.’
- Next, you will be asked to follow a series of steps. Once you complete them and have submitted your request, your application will be reviewed, and if it meets the criteria, you will be verified.
Ideally, you’ll have all your information available, so the process goes smoothly. For example, I recommend that you have your ID or other proofs of ownership for your account ready.
What are the criteria for getting verified on TikTok?
- Active account – You must be posting regularly. TikTok doesn’t waste time verifying inactive accounts.
- Authenticity – Are you whom you say you are? Proving your identity is one of the strongest aspects of verification because it protects everyone from fraud. For individual accounts, you only need to prove your personal identity. Business accounts have a different process whereby you prove you’re the authorized representative of the brand. This is true for all business types, see TikTok’s policy on their website.
- Completeness of your profile – TikTok requires you to finish your profile before you can be Verified. This encourages people to be honest about themselves and share themselves with the community. While you don’t have to get too personal, filling out the profile basics is essential.
- Popularity – Once again, TikTok doesn’t verify nobodies on the platform. In other words, if you’re just starting out, then you’ll need to wait until you have a strong following. That rule is the same whether you’re a business or personal account.
- Security – TikTok has various account security levels. To get verified, you’ll have to use higher levels of security because TikTok wants to make sure people who post from verified accounts are the owners. Otherwise, they’d be vulnerable to hackers.
- Adherence to community guidelines and terms of service – This one protects TikTok and the community. They only want the good actors to be verified and enjoy all the respect that this status entails.
8 Tips for a successful TikTok verification application
As you can see, learning to get verified on TikTok is more than just showing your ID to the trust and security department. Rather, you need to make sure that your account is “verification ready.” Here are eight tips to help ensure your application is successful.
1. Ensure your profile is complete and up-to-date
Make sure all of the information on your profile is accurate and up-to-date. This includes your name, bio, profile picture, and other details. Not only does the information help build a connection between you and your audience, but profile info also builds your credibility and the authenticity of your account.
In other words, TikTok won’t verify an account that doesn’t have a real character behind it. Although you don’t need to use your real name (most individuals don’t), they need to ensure you’re a real character. Additionally, make sure you won’t change your username in the future, as doing so will cause you to lose verification.
Not that you’ll want to change your username, though. This is your brand and, therefore, what people will know you by on TikTok. Part of the point of verification is to protect your username.
2. Create quality content
Create content that is engaging and relevant to your audience. The definition of engaging and relevant varies dramatically based on your niche and account type. For instance, for a business account, relevant content usually revolves around your company and its industry. You might also use humor and other content to engage your audience on a more personal level.
Likewise, your quality needs to be good. Because TikTok is mostly based on cell phone footage, the standards aren’t necessarily as high as some other platforms. However, you still need to create content that people love to watch and that is well put together. For example, avoid “choppy” videos that don’t fit well together. If you’re jumping from one scene to another, people might have trouble following you. Here’s a listing of videos where creators share their best tips.
Besides doing a good job of shooting the footage, great video always involves proper planning. Just because TikTok videos are short doesn’t mean you get to skip the concept phase. It’s just shorter due to video length.
Further Reading: The 8 Best TikTok Photo Editing Hacks You Need to Know!
3. Use relevant hashtags
Use relevant hashtags in your posts to help increase visibility and engagement. Remember, part of how to get verified on TikTok is growing your audience. Hashtags help your content be discovered so that your audience will grow. As people search for videos on your topics, they’ll find out that you’re making content in this area. Plus, the algorithm works in part on hashtags, so people with an interest in yours might see your videos as a suggestion.
There are a few ways to get relevant hashtags. If you’re a business account, you can make up branded tags and use them with everything you produce. However, these won’t be enough to distribute your content well. Take note of the hashtags that other creators with your niche are using. Finally, as TikTok grows, there are more hashtag discovery tools available. Some of these TikTok management tools already have that feature.
Further Reading: Instagram Hashtags: Where To Find Them And How To Use Them
4. Post consistently
Post regularly and consistently to keep your followers engaged. Ideally, you should post several times a week or even every weekday for business accounts. This way, people look forward to your content at regular intervals, and will look for it on their FYP. Over time, as these people interact with your content, it’ll show up on even more FYP pages.
However, from a TikTok verification standpoint, the important part is that you have plenty of content on your channel. TikTok only verifies popular accounts, and if you aren’t consistent about posting, then you might miss the bar. You might say that posting consistency is the biggest hurdle in how to be verified on TikTok.
Further Reading: 15 Legit Ways How to Get More Views on TikTok
5. Use trending Hashtags
Using trending hashtags is a great way to get your content seen by more people. When you use popular hashtags, your content will be seen by a larger audience and can help you gain more followers. Additionally, using trending hashtags can help you get featured on the “For You” page, which is where most users discover new content.
With that said, you should avoid using irrelevant hashtags. This can easily backfire, especially with commercial accounts. Choose the most trending hashtags that are appropriate to your videos. You can also create content that’s a bit off-topic but still relevant to your audience in other ways. Appropriate humor is a good way to do this, especially in niches where people take themselves too seriously.
6. Engage with your audience
Engage with other users by liking, commenting, and sharing their content. This will help build relationships and trust with your followers. In addition, these relationships will build people’s confidence and encourage them to share your content with other people. Being an engaged content creator (even as a brand) is one of the best ways to grow your TikTok account because people prefer to interact with brands that care.
Further Reading: 17 TikTok Video Ideas That Will Skyrocket Your Engagement
7. Get verified on other social media platforms
Getting verified on other social media platforms is a great way to increase your credibility and trustworthiness while also increasing the chances of getting verified on TikTok. After all, TikTok is a relatively new social network, and many people who post there have other accounts. There’s much posting material on multiple platforms, too, especially YouTube and Instagram. When TikTok can draw a clear link between the “real you” on other platforms and your TikTok account, it helps you earn verification.
Here’s another quick tip. TikTok lets you add links to your other social media accounts, just like some others do. This can help with TikTok verification and also with expanding accounts across platforms. Awesome, right?
Further Reading: How to Get Verified on Instagram – The Latest Advice and Analysis
8. Follow community guidelines
It is important to follow the community guidelines when applying for verification on TikTok. This includes not posting content that is offensive, hateful, or inappropriate. Additionally, it is important to be respectful of other users and their content. Following the community guidelines will help ensure that your application is successful and that you are seen as a trustworthy user.
Not only is following guidelines an important part of how to get verified on TikTok, but it can help protect your brand. TikTok kicks people off the platform for blatant violations, but short of this, being “edgy” can limit your following. And if you’re representing a brand, then you must think about its reputation (and your job). Always be careful about what you post online.
When you consider how to get verified on TikTok, the process of applying is relatively easy. However, before you do this, your account needs to be ready. Grow your account to the point that you’re well-known in your niche on TikTok. Make sure your videos fit community guidelines and that you’re getting plenty of views. Then, when you’re ready to apply, you’ll have a reasonable chance of success.
How To Get Verified On TikTok FAQs
To become verified on TikTok, you need to have at least 10,000 followers – a feat that can take many months or even years of hard work and persistence. The reality is that not all accounts fulfilling this requirement will be granted verification – but with regular uploads of quality content and carefully crafted strategies, you can increase your chances of being recognized by TikTok for your creative flair and ultimately receive the much-desired blue tick.
In order to get verified on TikTok, users must complete the online application and wait for approval from the platform’s team. The process is not always straightforward, as applicants must increase their followers, maintain a certain post frequency, demonstrate influence on the app, and abide by TikTok’s community guidelines – all of which can be quite a challenge.
To become verified on TikTok, an individual must first have an authentic, public presence with adherents and followers before referring themselves for verification. Their account must represent a real, recognizable person or brand and must abide by all applicable laws, display accurate profile information and contain only appropriate content. Once all of these criteria are met, users can apply for the verified badge and may receive it in as little as 24 hours once approved by TikTok.
Here are some steps on how to get a blue tick:
1. Ensure that your account is set as a public account and includes as much accurate information about yourself and your business as possible.
2. Make sure your profile contains high-quality videos that offer something unique and informative, that novice users can access without any technical know-how.
3. Once everything is complete, all you need to do is reach out to the platform and apply for verification. If approved, the blue tick will appear on your profile
Yes, TikTok does offer an avenue for verified users to get paid through ads, sponsorships, and influencer marketing campaigns. Whether through a one-time post or more involved partnerships, verified TikTok users have multiple opportunities to monetize their accounts and take advantage of their considerable fan base.