Business blogs have become an integral part of content marketing and corporate communication. Learn how to create a successful blog to increase your company’s reach and visibility in search engines and grow brand awareness. A high-quality blog with valuable content serves as a content center for internal and external communication. Relevant content published on a regular basis will build credibility and trust and strengthen your reputation.
Corporate Blogs can also serve as a core feeding channel for your social media strategy. Connecting and seeding your blog content on social media helps to set up more touchpoints for reaching out to customers and clients. Engaging your followers in commenting and discussing your topics will help to collect valuable feedback for creating even more valuable content and products.
Here are some stats and figures and 5 strategies for your business blogging success:
Why a business blog is important for your corporate communication [infographic]
A business blog can help you establish your business as an industry thought leader. If your customers love what you publish, they will remember your blog as a valuable resource of information on your topic. Corporate blogs can also play a major role in traffic and lead generation, conversion, and customer loyalty. to prove the importance of blogs for your business:
- 81% of businesses reported that their business blog is useful to critical for their business.
- 71% of business bloggers report that they have increased their visibility within their industries.
- 69% of businesses attribute their lead generation success to blogging.
- The average company that blogs, generates 55% more website visitors, 97% more inbound links, and 434% more indexed pages.
- 56% of bloggers who maintain business blogs say it has helped their company establish a position as an industry thought leader.
- Companies that blog get 55% more website traffic.
(Source: Impact IMPact)
Why business blogs fail
With all these benefits, it is quite indisputable why you should invest in business blogging. However, many business blogs fall short of expectation for many reasons. Before you invest any more time in creating, polishing, or refining your blog, take a look at the showstopper that can crash your success and how to overcome them.
Many business blogs struggle with low reader interaction:
- 64% of corporate blogs have no comments at all.
- 5% of corporate blogs have three or more comments per article.
Mayor reasons for low interaction with business blogs:
- Low content relevancy: an insufficient focus on relevant topics for the target audience.
- Inconsistency in publishing.
- Lack of content distribution and promotion.
The Mismatch between content and marketing
Essentially, low content relevancy is mostly caused by content which is not adapted to the search behavior of customers when they are looking for information on products or services. While 75% of business decision-makers are looking for substantial ideas and inspiration, 93% of marketers continue to communicate content directly related to products and services.
If you don’t have a content marketing strategy, your content is likely to miss the target.
5 Strategies on how to create a successful blog for corporate communication
1. Create quality content for your business blog
The better you know your customers, the better you can create content that matches their interests. Audit your customer communication for frequently asked questions and business challenges your customers and prospects are faced with. Create help content, tips, and guidelines to educate your customers.
Business customers are particularly interested in:
- Tips and advice (90%).
- Checklists or instructions (88%).
- Industry reports, studies, and trends (81%).
Look out for topics that get much engagement on social media:
- Audit your social media followers for comments and questions.
- Look at discussions in social communities on your topics. Look for frequently asked questions and challenges that come up and look for gaps in coverage. Is there anything you can add to your posts, that will make your content stand out?
- Aks your sales and support people for frequently asked questions and business challenges they discuss with your clients.
Use tools like Buzzsumo to research top performing content for your keywords and topics. Or, try the Easy Blog Ideas plugin to analyze top performing content from social media and your competitors directly in your WordPress Dashboard. Save the sources as a draft to create your own posts based on these ideas.
2. Use internal and external links for your blog posts
Internal links to an from related posts turn your blog into a well-structured encyclopedia on your topic for your readers. Your internal link structure is also important for your ranking in the search engines. Read Yoast’s post on how to use cornerstone articles, if you want to know more about this. External links connect your blog with the blogosphere and build the fundament for backlinks to your blog.
How to use internal links for your blog posts
Use internal links to your past posts, when referring to a topic you’ve written about before. This both gives your readers more information about your topic, but it also hooks people to your site. Linking to related posts will make your post stronger because it shows some authority on the subject.
- Use at least 1-2 internal links to link to a past post.
- Write a descriptive anchor text for the link to make it clear where the link leads to.
- Always use keywords in your anchor text.
- Only use links that are relevant to your current topic.
- Don’t use too many links to irritate or mislead your readers.
How to use external links for your blog posts
Use external links if you are quoting or referring to a topic someone else has written. If you quote content from key influencers on your topic and link to their site, you automatically give credit to their websites. You can also use this strategy to reach out or automatically ping their website. If they like what they see, they may be willing to share your content or link back to you.
- Use at least 1-2 external links in your blog post.
- Only link to websites or articles which actually add value to the topic you are writing about.
- Link to websites with a good page authority. Look out for influencers in your industry or in your niche.
3. Adapt your posting frequency
Consistency in publishing new blog posts is the key to increase blog traffic and retain readers.
So, how many blog posts should you publish?
To quote Dan Zarrella in The Science of Marketing, the answer is most probably: “More than you are right now”.
- 52 or more blog posts will increase blog traffic generation by up to 77%. (Source: How Blogging Can Increase Your Lead Generation by 67%)
- Companies that blog more than 4 times a week see the biggest increase in traffic and leads. (Source: Blogging Statistics: 52 Reasons Your Company Blog is Worth the Time & Effort)
- Businesses who blog 16 to 20 times per month get over two times more traffic than those who blog less than four times per month. (Source: Lead Generation Lessons from 4000 Businesses)
- 89% of companies that update their blogs multiple times a day have acquired a customer from their blog. (Source: Some quick handy stats about social media and lead generation)
Start with the baseline of one post per week and look at your analytics for:
- unique visitors
- pages per visit
- time for reading
- time on site
- reader-to-lead ratio
- lead-to-customer ratio
After some time, add more than one post per week and compare results. If these numbers are promising, repeat the experiment until you find your perfect frequency.
4. Consider the best times to publish and to seed your content on your business blog
Most blog readers are “morning people” and tend to read blogs early in the morning. If you publish your content during AM hours, you have good chances of getting more attention for your content.
Dan Zarrella found the following patterns about blog publishing and sharing.
- Blog readers are 79% more likely to read in the morning.
- Blog reading peaks around 10 am.
- the best time to blog for pageviews is Monday between 8 and 11 am
- the best time to blog for increased engagement is Saturday between 8 and 11 am
5. Content Seeding: Cross-promote your business blog posts on social media
However great your content is, you need to promote your business blog consistently. Social media help your content to build authority, incoming links and reach. The better the engagement you receive for your content on social media the more this will help your ranking and visibility.
Sharing your content on social media helps you drive more traffic to your business blog. There are multiple social sites to share your content as well as your visuals.
- Share your content on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and LinkedIn, but also think of Reddit, Instagram, Pinterest, and Flickr.
- Also, share your content on relevant Facebook, Google+ and LinkedIn Groups or Reddit Subreddits.
- Don’t forget to share your blog posts as Google Posts on your Google My Business account.
- Share your content on Social Bookmark communities such as Diigo, Delicious or Digg.
- Re-publish and syndicate your content on platforms like Medium, Tumblr, Bloglovin’, Quora, and LinkedIn Pulse.
Cross-promote your content at different times and days across social networks and customize your comments with personal comments, hashtags or handles for each channel. Use social media automation for scheduling and consistency.
Tip: Set up a social media cross-promotion plan to schedule and share your blog posts on social media. Click here for a free guide and checklist for your social media sharing plan
A successful business blog can help you to grow your reach and brand reputation. A corporate blog as an integral part of your corporate communication strategy can also boost lead generation, conversion, and customer loyalty. However, you need a fundamental content strategy to create and re-purpose quality content and as well as a social media strategy to cross-promote and syndicate your content for connecting and seeding your content across multiple channels. A social media cross-promotion plan and smart automation tools will help you to grow your traffic and engagement on a regular basis.