Today I was finally given access to the new LinkedIn publishing platform so that I start blogging with LinkedIn, and as a result, published my first post on the new platform on the same day entitled “How Will YOU Use the LinkedIn Publishing Platform?” To all those who have asked me how they can apply to be an Influencer on LinkedIn, the answer is now clear: Share your expertise and let the LinkedIn community decide. (Note: Every LinkedIn user will be able to access the platform soon, and when you can, LinkedIn will send you an email telling you as such and a pencil icon will appear in your status update box that you press to start publishing on LinkedIn.)
If you have never blogged before, the LinkedIn publishing platform gives you an extremely way to share your story with the world. You don’t have to worry about signing up on another website or dealing with complex issues like launching your own website. Furthermore, the process of publishing was extremely intuitive and easy to understand. In other words, there is no excuse NOT to use the LinkedIn publishing platform.
The challenge becomes the following:
- If you have never blogged before but you want to improve your professional branding on LinkedIn, what should you blog about?
- As a company, how can you leverage this new publishing platform for your social media marketing, social selling, or employee advocacy efforts?
- If you are already a blogger or content creator, should you publish unique content on LinkedIn or … ?
The answers to all of these social media questions I have included in my first LinkedIn post. And, after you read this blog post, you will realize why I am not disclosing the answers in this blog post: I really want you to follow and engage with me both on my own website as well as within LinkedIn.
That should give you as good of a hint as any as to how to use the new platform!
Please read my LinkedIn post and then tell me: How will YOU use the new publishing platform?
And if you’re looking to get started blogging on LinkedIn, check out my video showing you how here:
Hero photo by LinkedIn Sales Navigator on Unsplash
How To Publish On LinkedIn FAQs
Here are the steps on how to publish an article on LinkedIn:
1. On top of your homepage, you will see a field for Start a post and find the “Write article” option below.
2. You will be redirected to another page with fields where you can put your article.
3. Once you have placed your headline, body, and images of your article, click Publish.
Yes, you should. Publishing content on LinkedIn increases your credibility in your niche/industry. Posting quality content regularly is crucial because it creates trust with your network. And when your connections trust you, they will see you as an expert in your industry because you are giving value to them. Moreover, it increases the potential of reaching a larger audience every time your connections engage with them.
One of the key differences between a LinkedIn post and a LinkedIn article is its length. A LinkedIn article can be up to 40,000+ characters, hence, often referred to as a “long-form post”. It also has publishing tools you will need to make your article look great. Meanwhile, a LinkedIn post is only limited to 1,300 characters, therefore, it is called a “short-form post”. LinkedIn posts are more popular than articles because they are easy to create and get more views.
Follow these steps on how you can post content on LinkedIn:
1. Select the Write Article option located below the Start a post field on your homepage.
2. Add your header image first.
3. Then continue with putting the title on the headline field, and the article body.
4. Once everything looks good, hit Publish and Share.
Here are the best content types to publish on LinkedIn:
1. Blog posts
2. Detailed How-To and List style posts
4. Company Updates
5. New studies, reports, and research related to your industry