Just got this question from a new member of my LinkedIn network today, so I thought I would share my answer with everyone.
If you have something you want to tell everyone, or something that you want to sell, it makes sense that you want to go beyond your first level network to the millions (in my case almost 18 million) of people that are in your 2nd degree and 3rd degree network. But how to contact those in your 2nd degree and 3rd degree network directly, all at once, in an efficient manner?
Unfortunately, this cannot be done, and LinkedIn intended it to be that way in that they want to limit what they see as potential spamming.
As you probably have figured out by now, you can download your 1st degree connections from your “Contacts” or “My Connections” screen and then contact all of them at once.
If you are a LinkedIn Group manager, you can download all of the group members and contact them at once. (note: LinkedIn has since discontinued this functionality)
Other than that, the only way to contact 2nd degree and 3rd degree connections is to:
1) send an InMail, for which a paid account is necessary
2) if you are in the same LinkedIn Group with them AND they have allowed Group members to access their email address you can send them a message, or
3) you can find their email address if they have listed it on their profile.
Unfortunately each of these methods must be done on a one-by-one email basis.
The only other way of advertising what you are doing is:
- Putting it on your profile
- Asking questions about it in Answers
- Conducting a poll on it
- Starting a Group
- Placing messages on Group Discussion Boards
Contacting 2nd degree and 3rd degree connections is not easy, but following the above steps you should be able to contact those that you feel are strategic to your objective. I realize that there are no quick fix solutions here, but part of the challenge (and fun!) of working within LinkedIn is to find creative ways around the barriers. Let me know if I missed any!
Looking for more LinkedIn advice? Check these posts out!
- [Free Ebook] Maximizing LinkedIn for Business (Revised for 2018)
- Professional LinkedIn Profile Tips: A Checklist of 17 Must-Have Items
- LinkedIn Profile Tips: The 10 Mistakes You Want to Avoid and Why
- The Ultimate LinkedIn Profile Tips Summary [Infographic] + 8 Stats
- 5 Steps To Connect With People Outside Your Network On LinkedIn
- How Do I Disconnect from Someone on LinkedIn?
- What Do I Put in My LinkedIn Profile if I am a College Student?
- LinkedIn Account Restricted? You May Have Been Too Active on LinkedIn!
- What is a LinkedIn LION?
- 20 LinkedIn LIONs & Super Connectors You MUST Connect With!
Join my newsletter!
Subscribe to get my latest content by email as soon as I publish it.