LinkedIn is a very interesting social networking site. Many users say they only want to connect with people in their closed network, but unless that network is big enough, the benefits of using LinkedIn to find and be found become minimal. On the other hand, I find many users who don’t care about acquiring LinkedIn connections often talk about how many they have as an indication of how active they are on the site.
So how many LinkedIn connections should you have?
I recently shot a video at a keynote speech on social media in Orange County, California where I unveiled my Windmill Networking calculation of how many connections I recommend you should have as a goal on LinkedIn. I’ll let you view the video, and the surprised audience reaction, and let you form your own opinion.
Everyone’s network size and participation on LinkedIn will be the result of a number of varying factors. But, if you think about my advice, isn’t it a reasonable goal to meet and potentially link up with 10 to 20 new people each year through networking events? Even if you’re fresh out of college with few professional connections, I believe the calculation that I propose is reasonable. And if you’re a true Windmill Networker, you can easily meet 10 to 20 people in a month or even a week! I have networking events where I meet several people I want to connect with in a single day.
If you could put a calculation as to how many connections one should have a goal for, what would you recommend? Looking forward to everyone’s input!
Looking for more LinkedIn advice? Check these posts out!
- [Free Ebook] Maximizing LinkedIn for Business (Revised for 2018)
- Professional LinkedIn Profile Tips: A Checklist of 17 Must-Have Items
- LinkedIn Profile Tips: The 10 Mistakes You Want to Avoid and Why
- The Ultimate LinkedIn Profile Tips Summary [Infographic] + 8 Stats
- 5 Steps To Connect With People Outside Your Network On LinkedIn
- How Do I Disconnect from Someone on LinkedIn?
- What Do I Put in My LinkedIn Profile if I am a College Student?
- LinkedIn Account Restricted? You May Have Been Too Active on LinkedIn!
- What is a LinkedIn LION?
- 20 LinkedIn LIONs & Super Connectors You MUST Connect With!
Join my newsletter!
Subscribe to get my latest content by email as soon as I publish it.