Assuming that you understand what a LinkedIn Open Networker means from my “What is a LinkedIn LION?” post, and you want to use this terminology in your profile to increase your network as I mentioned in my “How Do I Grow My LinkedIn Network?” post, the next logical question you may have is “How Do I Become a LinkedIn LION?” Unfortunately, there is no official answer for this, as the history is that open networkers have always been frowned upon by the powers that be. There is no official group that oversees and manages them. With that in mind, if you would like to be recognized by others as an open networker, you can do any or all of the following:
- Register on LinkedIn LION groups that I have indicated in my “How Do I Increase My Network?” post.
- Include the terminology “LION” in your profile so that you can be found by others looking to connect with other open networkers.
The final option is the tricky one as it in essence becomes an SEO (Search Engine Optimization) project for your profile. But if you go to the Advanced Search and just enter “LION” as a keyword and press enter, you can see which profiles will show up on the first page and get an idea of how to effectively portray yourself as one.
At the end of the day anyone can claim that they are and thus become a L.I.O.N. by doing any of the above. This raises the risk that someone who claims to be an open networker by putting the proper terminology in their profile may not actually be open to receiving invitations or may give you the dreaded “IDK” response to your invitations. If this makes you feel insecure in connecting with other open networkers, you’ll want to make sure to “check out” their profile for Recommendations, common connections, and other personalized information before contacting them or sending them an invitation to connect.
Looking for more LinkedIn advice? Check these posts out!
- [Free Ebook] Maximizing LinkedIn for Business (Revised for 2018)
- Professional LinkedIn Profile Tips: A Checklist of 17 Must-Have Items
- LinkedIn Profile Tips: The 10 Mistakes You Want to Avoid and Why
- The Ultimate LinkedIn Profile Tips Summary [Infographic] + 8 Stats
- 5 Steps To Connect With People Outside Your Network On LinkedIn
- How Do I Disconnect from Someone on LinkedIn?
- What Do I Put in My LinkedIn Profile if I am a College Student?
- LinkedIn Account Restricted? You May Have Been Too Active on LinkedIn!
- What is a LinkedIn LION?
- 20 LinkedIn LIONs & Super Connectors You MUST Connect With!
Join my newsletter!
Subscribe to get my latest content by email as soon as I publish it.