Almost a year ago I wrote about my favorite LinkedIn pet peeves, which spurned a great list of 25 LinkedIn etiquette tips that arose from a discussion on the LinkedIn Executive Suite Group. As I tend to spend more time on Twitter than LinkedIn these days, I think it’s time to focus on that social networking platform and talk about what drives me, and others, crazy about what users are doing on it.
Just as with LinkedIn, Twitter has its own unique sets of functionalities which creates the potential for different types of behavior. With Twitter, the root of most of my pet peeves stems from the fact that there is a lot that you can automate on the platform. Want to auto-followback those who follow you? There’s an application for that. Automatically send a Direct Message to your new Followers? No problem! Want to schedule the same tweet to repeat itself every 24 hours? Can do! I am all for automation if it allows me to spend more time on creating content and interacting with others. But on the flip side, social interaction cannot be automated!
If I had to list my 10 favorite Twitter pet peeves, they would be:
- Only self-promoted tweets…using Twitter as a broadcasting channel.
- Automated Direct Messages
- Self-promoting Direct Messages
- No profile photo…who are you?
- Putting more than one location in your profile…where are you?
- Using a brand name for your Twitter handle. How can you claim to be who you are?
- Only tweeting automated RSS feeds…using Twitter as a broadcasting channel.
- @Reply spam…I block these tweeps and report for spam every time.
- Following way too many people in comparison to the number of followers you have.
- Too many quotes. Do that many people really enjoy all of those quotes from famous people?
What are your favorite Twitter pet peeves?
Looking for more Twitter advice? Check these posts out!
- How to Send a Tweet with a Clickable Image [Updated for 2018]
- 6 Reasons Why Your Twitter Account May Be Restricted (Without Your Knowing It)
- 5 Awesome Twitter Features You Should Use Now
- 6 Twitter and Social Media Contest Ideas Worth Exploring
- 4 Alternative Ways to Search Twitter for People by Location
- 6 Ways to Start Using Twitter in Your Real Estate Business TODAY
- Twitter Followers vs Following: What is the Ideal Ratio?
- 11 Clever Ways to Get More Retweets Right Now
- How Twitter is Changing the Rules for Social Media Marketing
- 3 Crazy Cool Chrome Extensions for Twitter You’ll Love