Today I wanted to talk about the new social network that has been on a lot of people’s minds: Ello. This social network has popped up seemingly out of nowhere over the last few weeks as a kind of response to an LGBTQ issue with Facebook’s policy. Listen in to hear what I think of Ello and how I think you should move forward with your social media strategy with this new network in mind.
Subscribe on iTunes | Stitcher | SoundCloud | RSS
In This Episode:
- When people have been asking me about Ello, my first piece of advice is to slow down!
- We’re still in the first few weeks of this network gaining prominence, especially in certain circles
- We have to remain holistic about our approach to social media
- Ello is a perfect example of a new network that starts out, gets a little buzz, a lot of people log on to see what it’s about, and then drop off
- It really is going to depend on what Ello does (or can do) to bring value to businesses who want to leverage it
- Ello has already said it’s going to be an ad free network
- Let’s take a step back and talk about what exactly Ello is: it’s a fledgling social network that has been picked up by the LGBTQ community and a lot of creatives and artists over the last several weeks after Facebook was starting to crack down on drag queens and others that had profiles where they weren’t using their real names; Facebook said this violated their policy and closed down those accounts
- Last week Facebook announced that they were going to reexamine their policy and let those folks come back to the network
- Ello still has a very organic feel with a lot of artists and creative types, and it’s a beautiful network, another avenue to engage with people
- It can’t hurt to acquire an invite to Ello (which is what you’ll need to do to get on it) to explore the platform
- Ello is very familiar to Twitter: you follow people, you put them in one of two lists called Friends and Noise, and then you can look at those two feeds, post things with links and images and text
- So far, a lot of the conversations on Ello have been about Ello: how to use it, what it is, and so on
- It’s refreshing to be on a network without ads, where the conversations feel more organic and natural
- Keep in mind, no one can predict the future, no one knows what Ello will become
- My advice is stick to your social media strategy, but keep an eye on Ello to see where it goes, who’s on the network, how many followers they have
- It’s sort of a closed network in that it’s hard to search for people, so you have to find people in order to be found, you have to join the conversations
- If you share something on Ello, keep an eye on the referrals you’re getting from Ello as that’ll be a great way to track it as well
Resources & Links:
- Read about another new network, Tsu
- Read about why niche networks (like Empire Avenue and Ello) matter to social media marketers.
- Check out my top 25 quotes about social media for business, and why I never think it’s too late to get on a new network.
- Follow me on Ello
Check Out All of My Podcasts!
Join my newsletter!
Subscribe to get my latest content by email as soon as I publish it.